Project Gun MK85/Wiseman 50 cal barrel

sabotloader
Project Gun MK85/Wiseman 50 cal barrel

Post by sabotloader » June 21st, 2013, 9:21 pm

Project Report #2...

We had to make a run to Spokane yesterday to pick up a new freezer (the freezer trip was a bust - they sent the wrong freezer) but the trip was well worth while as I found out this evening...

For a refresher the project rifle is a older Knight MK-85 with a Wiseman 50 caliber barrel. It is the tightest 50 cal. Knight bore I have but I really wanted to try an experiment.

This is the rifle, I am discussing.

Again the freezer trip was a bust but on the way, we did make a couple of very important side trips... One to Black Sheep Sporting Goods and the other to Cabelas in Coeur d' Alene. Black Sheep by far is my favorite spot as their prices for the most part are really competitive with the less expensive online houses. I picked up a few items at Black Sheep, namely T7 for $19 bucks a jug, but one of the items I really wanted some 50 cal. bulk bullets they did not have - in fact they did not have much in the way of bullets at all. That forced the decision that we would stop at Cabelas, I really do not like their prices but Terry likes their lunch counter so it would all work out.

Well they did have what I was looking for some Barnes 50x275 grain XPB bullets... The first time I looked I could not find any but on the second trip through there they were 2 boxes of them. I was only going to buy one but decided - I probably should get and hope they worked for what I wanted.... Terry found a lot of stuff over in clothing she wanted - who goes to clothing in Cabelas??? well maybe in the Bargain Cave!

Tonight, I pulled the hammer assembly and the breech plug and pushed one through the bore and out the other end. Also remember this barrel is slightly pitted most of the length, but the bullet pushed through just slightly harder than a sabot load. When it came out the other end... Yep! perfectly engraved with the 6 lands of the Wiseman barrel.

Think you might be able to see them in this photo...

Looks like a shooting trip to the Rock Pit in the morning....

Side note - I have called Hoyt, as suggested, twice now about re-working the barrel, but have not received a return call.
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “MK85”