Knight LOP...

sabotloader
Knight LOP...

Post by sabotloader » February 22nd, 2012, 11:51 pm

For myself the Knight standard 14 1/4" LOP is perfect or at least very comfortable during the spring, summer, and most of the fall - but in the winter it is to long!

By the time I put the winter hunting gear on the LOP is really to long to be comfortable with. On my other Knights I have removed a 5/8" section of the stock and then re-installed a 1" recoil pad.

While searching for a replacement recoil pad I stumbled on the #10544 Limb Saver - Low Profile Grind-To-Fit Recoil pad. I emailed limbsaver to ask about the difference in felt recoil of the low profile pad vs. the regular 1" Limb Saver. I was happy to learn that there was very little difference in felt recoil between the two pads.

So, instead of cutting the stock I removed the stock Knight recoil pad and installed the 'Low Profile' pad. Took it to the shop and with a free standing belt sander I started removing 'grinding' the pad to fit. I had wrapped the stock in about 3 layers of blue 2" painters tape and angled the table down about 10*. I was hoping this would allow me to get really close to the stock without getting into the stock. It all seemed to work fairly well.

Got the job done and dropped nearly a 1/2" of the LOP..

I wish i were as good as a gun smith fitting pads to a stock but I did get really close. It works for me...
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

NuJudge

A slip-on pad would also work

Post by NuJudge » February 23rd, 2012, 6:45 am

I have the opposite problem, being 6'4" and wearing 37 inch sleeves. I use a lot of slip on pads to bring length up to what I need.

KnightMl

Re: Knight LOP...

Post by KnightMl » February 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm

sabotloader wrote:For myself the Knight standard 14 1/4" LOP is perfect or at least very comfortable during the spring, summer, and most of the fall - but in the winter it is to long!

By the time I put the winter hunting gear on the LOP is really to long to be comfortable with. On my other Knights I have removed a 5/8" section of the stock and then re-installed a 1" recoil pad.

While searching for a replacement recoil pad I stumbled on the #10544 Limb Saver - Low Profile Grind-To-Fit Recoil pad. I emailed limbsaver to ask about the difference in felt recoil of the low profile pad vs. the regular 1" Limb Saver. I was happy to learn that there was very little difference in felt recoil between the two pads.

So, instead of cutting the stock I removed the stock Knight recoil pad and installed the 'Low Profile' pad. Took it to the shop and with a free standing belt sander I started removing 'grinding' the pad to fit. I had wrapped the stock in about 3 layers of blue 2" painters tape and angled the table down about 10*. I was hoping this would allow me to get really close to the stock without getting into the stock. It all seemed to work fairly well.

Got the job done and dropped nearly a 1/2" of the LOP..

I wish i were as good as a gun smith fitting pads to a stock but I did get really close. It works for me...
Ive not tried the limb saver yet. If I get a new ML I may give one a whirl. All of my stocks are cut down to 13 1/4 length of pull. I find that about right with winter clothes on.