Pellet Choise, Longhorn Western

broncoblues
Pellet Choise, Longhorn Western

Post by broncoblues » October 4th, 2015, 1:05 pm

I am new to muzzle loader hunting, I have built and shot CVA kits, using flint and cap systems that performed well at the range, simple grain, patch and ball. Now I am gearing up for Elk, in western Wa.
I just purchased a Longhorn Western, and have chosen to use Powerbelt platinum 338 gr, for a good exit wound, on medium to small bulls. I have always used RWS musket caps, and my range is 20 to 80 yards max for the terrain I am working, very damp to mostly raining, and thick under growth.

So my question now is the pros and cons between Hogdon 777 and IMR White Hots, 50 gr pellets. I have read that white hots have caused erosion and pitting in longhorn breach and plug, I have not personally examined it yet, but sevral Pictures on other sites, looks like corrosive hot magnum load damage, I do not plan to play with loads, 100 gr, ( 2x 50 gr pellets ) keeping it simple, cause in the moment I may get stupid.
As for 777 pellets, I am not concerned about cleaning after or durring, it will be done either way. It is the moisture factor, having to toss loads each morning and start fresh hoping I can keep them dry all day.

Any conjecture would be appreciated for my choice of 777 or White Hots.