209 primers

tom Hill
209 primers

Post by tom Hill » November 17th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Just saw some of those little red 209 primer holders. Do I need to buy some of them and put the primer in that, then stick it on the breach nipple or what. Only thing I've seen so far that seems feasible or makes any sense to me. Surely some of you experienced guys with muzzle loaders out there can help me out and tell me what I need to do. Still need to get a removal tool. Saw a couple posts about a certain kind of powder, and I shouldn't have to put anything on the breach, but I am using triple 7 pellets. Mainly because hey were given to me, and it's almost a full box. A guy gave me most of the stuff I nee to get started shooting. Did buy me some more sabots, because he only had or 6 left, plus I bought some accessories to go along with it. surely some one out thre can help me out.

WV Hunter

Re: 209 primers

Post by WV Hunter » November 18th, 2014, 11:26 pm

This I guess goes with your other post.

Sounds like you do indeed have the 209 FPJ setup. You need the red plastic jackets. You can either buy them primed, or insert the primers into them yourself. That plug should have a hex head breech plug. You can just use a ratchet with an extension and socket to remove it (once you remove the hammer assy). Before shooting it, make sure to lube up the plug threads with breech plug grease, or some folks like to use the white Teflon tape instead of grease. I prefer grease.

Most MK's shoot very well with 240, 250, 260gr bullets, and 90-100gr of powder. You can play around with it and see what your gun likes. 300gr bullets also shoot well. The factory Knight 260's in the supplied black sabots are a good place to start. The are made by Speer, and shoot well and perform well on game. You may already have bullets...if so, shoot what you have and see how it does. There are a lot of good options in bullets.

If you have a scope, you will need to protect the underside of it from the blowback, or your scope will get burnt. I use electrical tape, some folks make covers out of material or even rubber to wrap around the scope between the rings.

The MK is a solid quality built gun, that will perform very well. Yes, its old...yes, its not fancy as the new stuff today.... and yes, its much more time consuming to clean. But its a great gun, and should serve you well if you take care of it. And I guess if you don't like it once you get to using it...you can always sell it and get something else. They aren't for everyone, but I like em and mine have always done me well.