Breech Plug

tom Hill
Breech Plug

Post by tom Hill » November 4th, 2014, 6:01 am

I just won A Knight MK 85 rifle. My question is about the breach plug. Is there a special tool to remove it with, or can I just use a small wrench or socket? I have always wanted to try a black powder gun, but just never got around to getting one, because there was always another gun I wanted worse. I'm Really excited about winning this one, and am looking forward to shooting it. Hopefully I will get to tomorrow. I'm even thinking about trying it out for deer hunting. I bought a video at Wal Mart on shooting black powder rifles. They talked about the Mk 85 quite a bit, but the one they talked about used the #11 primers,where mine takes the 209 primers.
Anyway, I was wondering about the breach plug tool so that I can take it out to grease it. Any suggestions or replies will be greatly appreciated, since I am new to black powder rifles. I've been around guns all my life and my parents started letting me go out hunting with friends when I was 15. I got my first gun for Christmas when I was sixteen. It was an H&R single shot 12 gauge. Before that, my brother and I took turns using our dads old Stevens bolt action single shot 22, and his single shot 20 gauge shotgun.
I was always more into handguns. I had my 12 gauge, then I bought a Marlin 22 semi auto when I was 19. After that, it was all handguns. Still have the 12 gauge and the Marlin 22.
At one time, I had 32 handguns. I was always wheeling and dealing in them. Ended up having to sell them off over the years for bills or needing money for something, until I got down to no more handguns.
I now have the 12gauge, Marlin 22 rifle, A Mossburg 22 rifle, A Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle, High Standard 12 gauge pump shotgun, a 45 auto, 2 9mm's, 22 revolver western style, 2 22 autos, and a 9mm derringer. Just got the 2 22 autos and one of the 9mm's today. Spent over $600. Slowly but surely building my arsenal back up, but this time I am adding more long guns. Still want a 20 gauge, a 410 shotgun, and a 5 shot 38. That will complete my want list, but I know I will probably pick up some others here and there. There are a few more hand guns I would like to eventually get. Plus I eventually want an AR-15. Thinking about building one myself.

GMB54-120

Re: Breech Plug

Post by GMB54-120 » November 5th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Jlineman wrote:I own a long range hunter bought the first year knight came back. The gun was sent with the tool to remove the breech .
Try using blackhorn 209 powder and should not have to put anything on the breech plug. Good luck Muzzys are a blast to shoot.

Why would you recommend using BH209 in a plunger gun? Western does not recommend it and ive personally witnessed the hammer assembly recock from using it. Ive seen primers damaged from using BH209 in a plunger gun.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

DiscMan

Re: Breech Plug

Post by DiscMan » December 9th, 2014, 12:07 am

Knight does not recommend using BH-209 in any plunger guns, for the reason listed above.