Volume and weight

ferris bugler
Volume and weight

Post by ferris bugler » September 11th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Hey all. When I went to the range the other day I was trying to eliminate any type of inconsistencies. So I measured out 80 grains of T7 2F powder by volume, and since my only way to measure bp is in a quick loader and didn't seem too consistent I weighed it on a scale that I have for archery. At the range on a hot day 80 gr volume of T7 2F powder was 68 grains weight. Today, a little cooler and more humid, as I was preparing some loads to shoot during the season I seems like 68 grains by weight is more like 87 gr volume. Does this seem right? Is there an environmental change that would make this happen? What is the better way to choose the amount of powder I am going to use, or am I going nuts and they should consistently be the same. thanks in advance.

Novemberelk

Re: Volume and weight

Post by Novemberelk » September 23rd, 2014, 12:23 am

Well, powder is super hygroscopic, so it will absorb moisture from the air and change mass readily. I'm thinking to measure by volume is really maybe a more consistent way to go. Just be sure that your consistent in all that YOU do when you measure; ie, how hard and how many times you tap your measure etc. I used to tap but now i over-fill my powder measure slightly and just slide the lid closed to chop off the top of the pile. its more important to get the same amount of powder each time than to get a certain number of grains exactly.

So while i say i'm using 105 grains of powder, i'm sure its not. what i mean is that i set my powder measure to 105 and fill it the same way each time and that is what my gun likes with the bullet i'm using. I have no idea if its averaging 102 or 108, but i know that the same volume amount goes into my gun each time i load.

Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

DiscMan

Re: Volume and weight

Post by DiscMan » October 20th, 2014, 5:28 pm

I like to weigh my powder rather than using by volume. The secret is to do it in a controlled environment