old dog/but new arrival

Logtown
old dog/but new arrival

Post by Logtown » August 17th, 2014, 6:50 am

Greetings all,
I just signed on to this forum and look foward to shareing yours and mine experiences with muzzleloading and muzzleloading hunting/shooting.Started shooting and hunting with muzzleloaders in 1979,with a TC .45 cal Hawken kit,moved to a CVA BB Mountain Rifle .54 and took my first buck with that old gun.Bought my first inline.a BK-92 kit(finish the stock and you're shootin')and never looked back.From eastern NC where the bears are big and the snakes are thick.I mostly hunt public land,we have hundreds of thousands of acres of USFW refuges(shotgun,muzzleloader,bow only)and quite a lot of game lands too.
Logtown is an old name for the area where I live,i guess they cut a lot of pine here in times past,still plenty left.
Thanks for your time,
Logtown

GMB54-120

Re: old dog/but new arrival

Post by GMB54-120 » August 17th, 2014, 10:32 am

Interesting mix of MLs. Not too different than mine except im not very fond of most 50cals. My Ultra Light Arms would be the exception to that preference simply because it such a joy to carry. I also have a Savage 50 SS/Laminate but i almost never shoot it. The ULA shoots better and gets better fps with the same loads.

Ive shot quite a few of the Rem 385gr CLHPs but i find the MMP purple fails with max loads in my 54-120. The Barnes red 54x50 sabot seems to hold up just fine though. Another odd one that shoots well is the Barnes 300gr 458 SOCOM in the Harvester red 54x45. Its tight but loadable in the 54-120 and the sabot is incredibly tough. I normally avoid boattails but that combo flat out shoots and is highly effective on deer.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal