Magnum Elite

waywardarcher
Magnum Elite

Post by waywardarcher » August 2nd, 2014, 1:02 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can help me answer a few questions about my MK-95 50cal Magnum Elite rifle, purchased in 1994. The big selling point of this rifle was doing away with the (then ubiquitous) nipple and percussion cap, igniting the powder instead with a center-fire large rifle primer seated in a plastic percussion capsule identical to a shortened .38 pistol case. At the time, this provided a hot ignition, as well as revolutionized protection against wet conditions, and against blowback of percussion cap particles. Does anyone know why this rifle and ignition system became obsolete after only one season, and do you know if there is a replacement breech system available for this rifle to shoot the 209 primers/capsules? I'm guessing any conversion would be the same as for an MK-85, but I don't know for sure. So few of these rifles were produced, I'm wondering if anyone in this forum might still have one, or even remember them? Very little info is available for this particular model, and any particulars or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Droptine26s

Re: Magnum Elite

Post by Droptine26s » August 5th, 2014, 8:44 pm

The MK-95 was introduced in 1993 and was in the product line until 1996. In 1997 it was replaced by the original Disc ignition system(orange Disc). The MK-95 did come with a #11 breech plug, but no factory 209 breech plug was offered. I own 2 of them, one .50 and one .54 cal. It took me a long time to find them, but they were worth the wait.
Both of these shoot better than any other Disc that I own. The capsules are still available thru Speer and I think it is the best of all the ignition systems available. It has more parts that need to be cleaned, but that's par for the course with muzzleloaders. Hope this helps!

waywardarcher

Post by waywardarcher » August 5th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Thanks Droptine. 235 views for my Magnum Elite questions, and not one reply until yours. I was beginning to think I had the only one. It is a good shooting gun, and has harvested one nice elk. My concern with the ignition system is that I'm told it isn't legal to use in Colorado (as well as the scope and sabots), where it will be used on another elk hunt this year. The nipple/#11 percussion cap is always an option, but can be somewhat unreliable in the rain. Might have to rely on the ol' zip-lock baggie over the breech, like we used to do with our sidelocks. My other question was regarding recommended loads. Whereas most modern guns seem to recommend up to 150 gr of Pyrodex, my manual says loads above 110 grains are "not recommended", and do not improve performance. The barrel is described as having "rifle grade stainless steel", so I'm just wondering if you've shot more than 110gr in your 50cal, or have any comments about a recommended load. Thanks again.

Droptine26s

Post by Droptine26s » August 6th, 2014, 11:20 am

I have worked up some loads with T7 and BH 209, but nothing over 110 grains. I work on the tightest groups and hunt with what is accurate. Anything over that is wasting powder and just beating your shoulder up. And it usually causes bad habits like flinching.
There are a couple of other guys around who have MK-95's. Try the Modern Muzzleloading website and I'm sure they will chime in.

waywardarcher

Post by waywardarcher » August 6th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Again, many thanks to Droptine26s for the replies and valuable information, and good luck to all this Fall!