Ultra-Lite bolt disassembly ? 'headspace' issue?

Novemberelk

Post by Novemberelk » July 25th, 2014, 11:53 pm

Hi, can someone please post on how to disassemble and reassemble the bolt on an Ultra-Lite?
Maybe also info on what to watch out for when reassembling so as to not screw up anything?
Thanks
Last edited by Novemberelk on July 26th, 2014, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novemberelk

Post by Novemberelk » July 26th, 2014, 1:19 am

Well, figured it out from the thread in under mountaineer on bolt disassembly. I did search before i posted but it not come up for some reason, maybe the question mark at the end of the title? Anyway, what i'm really after is some way to change the "headspace" between the firing pin and my musket cap or #11 primer. I just got the gun, a black ultralight in nw ready. Gun is beautiful and looks really well made, I love it.

Took it to the range to try to work up a load and sight in but none of my cciM caps would fire. So i came home and I ordered brand new #11 german caps and also brand new german musket caps just in case those would be better somehow. Tried them both and neither would fire with a brand new gun out of the box. All the caps are dented by the firing pin and look like they should fire, but they dont.

So, a little back story... I shot a traditions vortec ultralight for the last 3 seasons but it was inconsistent in getting the caps to fire to the point where i missed about 20 opportunities at elk over 2 seasons and almost threw that gun off a cliff before i figured it out, the headspace needed changed. I modified a thin washer and put it between the nipple and BP on that rife and it fired caps pretty consistently after that. But, I wanted something better so I bought a knight.

So, here we are... I'm out on my front porch wasting musket caps trying to get them to fire and decide to unscrew my breech plug about a 3/4 turn and then presto bango. the caps fire. Problem is, I don't want to make another washer to space the BP or nipple back toward the firing pin, I don't think I should have to on a brand new, high quality gun. I also don't want to have to unscrew my breech plug any certain distance to get caps to fire, it seems unsafe and inconsistent once I start shooting at range or hiking after elk for 2 days.

Is there some adjustment that can be done with the bolt and firing pin to allow the pin hit the caps harder? Can I unscrew something in the bolt to get a little more penetration?

Help please

Novemberelk

GMB54-120

Re: Ultra-Lite bolt disassembly ? 'headspace' issue?

Post by GMB54-120 » July 27th, 2014, 12:10 pm

There was a machining error on some of the newer UL Westerns. Contact Knight for a new breach plug. Did this one come from Sportsmans Warehouse?
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Novemberelk

Post by Novemberelk » July 27th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Sounds right with the machining error and new breech plug fix. No, I ordered this direct from Knight in mid may and received a month and a half later, waiting for bolts to be produced. Breech plug must be from the bad batch during that time. I will contact them and ask for the fix.

I took this gun to the range yesterday despite the "third safety" ;) and it was awesome. Fired 15 rounds total, starting at 25 yards and finishing for the day out at 50 yards, had 100 yard target ready but just ran out of daylight. I had trail cams to set yesterday morning and got out to the range about 2 PM, Cleaning muzzle thoroughly between shots and letting rifle cool while doing so. Used 2 solvent mixes and oil patches, with dry patches between, all both sides. Needless to say, 16 rounds took 5 hours.

So I have 3-4 types of conical bullets and 2 powders and the choice of musket cap or number 11 to choose from. I cant use sabot bullets to hunt my season so I'm not going to buy them. I will eventually try powerbelts because i want to get away from a lead bullet and move to some alternate if I can make it shoot well and kill well.

Right now i'm trying rs powder at 100 grains and a 350 grain maxi hunter. Next time I go shooting i'm going to get my sights dialed at 100 yards and then start changing powder in 5 grain increments until it groups as tightly as i can shoot it. I would like inch groups at 100 yards.

So far, musket caps seem dirty when fired and plug the nipple after a couple of shots. They also dont seem to be as watertight as the #11 because they just dont fit as tightly around the nipple. When I hunt, my gun and i get lots of rain and snow, so a dryness factor goes to the number 11. And, if the number 11's fire and ignite powder as consistently as they should then i will go with them as they are cleaner as well.

My old gun had a 100 yard zero with 120 grains rs and a 350 grain maxi hunter, we bang-flopped some elk at close range so I have confidence in the bullet having killed deer and elk with it.

So I shot the gun and i love the gun. I cleaned the gun, a lot of times yesterday and I'm thoroughly impressed with how easily it cleans at the range, No brush required. I cleaned thoroughly when i got home last night and there wasn't really much more to do with the barrel. Its super nice and the kick is almost non-existent. I might have to change the front sight though, as the fiber optic in front seems too big or something.

Anyway, thanks for the information.
I appreciate it.

Novemberelk

Post by Novemberelk » August 27th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Super impressed with outcomes.

I missed 6 or 7 calls from Sam at knight but when he finally got a hold of me the second time, they were sending the fix and some extras to make things right.

Right it is! Got a longer breech plug that fixed all spacing issues and this thing shoots a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards with 105 grains rs, a 350 grain maxi hunter and number 11 cap (the german kind). Matching bullets would improve the group surely... I'm stoked with this uber reliable tack driver.

Thanks knight for the awesome gun and the good customer service they provided.

Note to the masses... Have some patience please.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » August 27th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Glad you have it worked out.