MK-95 question

waywardarcher
MK-95 question

Post by waywardarcher » July 22nd, 2014, 6:12 pm

Back in the early to mid 1990s, I purchased an updated 50cal MK-85, known as the MK-95, or Knight Magnum Elite. The major advancement was doing away with the nipple and percussion cap, and igniting the powder instead with a center-fire large rifle primer seated in a plastic percussion capsule. The benefits were a hotter consistent ignition, and fully enclosed protection against wet conditions. The gun also included an interchangeable standard breeh plug for using #11 percussion caps. Unfortunately, by the following season, this firearm was obsolete, apparently followed by the disc rifle, and use of up to 3 of the pellets which were also new at the time. My question regards using 3 pellets in the MK-95. At that time, the manual recommended no more than 110gr of FFG, Pyrodex, or Pyrodex Select, stated performance would not be improved with more powder than that, and stated the warranty would be void if more was used. The manual states the barrel is "rifle grade stainless steel". Does anyone know of any reasons why the later models began safely recommending up to 150gr? Was stronger steel used after 1994? And if not, other than the warranty, can anyone tell me why I can't use 3 pellets in the MK-95? The rifle primer is illegal in some states, so I'm also wondering if anyome knows if a replacement breech system is available to use the 209 primers, which apparently are legal? Thanks.

jrhambone23

Re: MK-95 question

Post by jrhambone23 » September 1st, 2014, 12:28 am

call knight and ask them ..they would and should be able to tell you all you need to know ...