New to forum with a question

lwa
New to forum with a question

Post by lwa » June 14th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Hi folks, new member here. I have a problem that I sure hope someone can help me with. I have an original Disc from the mid-nineties era. 50 cal. stainless barrel and up until a year ago one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. I've always shot three fifty grain Pyrodex pellets, 250 gr. Knight Red Hot bullet, with Winchester primers. Year after year it took one fouling shot and then touching groups at 100 yds with a wet and dry patch between each shot up to six to eight shots and then it needs cleaning. The scope has always been on it, a Leupold Var. XIII with Tally base and rings.

As stated very accurate until last year when nothing had changed except I can't get better than a 2 1/2 to 3" group out of it. I've tried different primers, different bullets, and loose powder, but nothing brings it back to the accuracy it once had.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could possibly be wrong? I am very particular about cleaning my guns and this one in particular has been kept clean. I can't see any pitting in the barrel using a pen light and I have checked all screws on the base and rings to make sure they are tight. I am 99.9% certain it is not the scope. I really appreciate any helpful suggestions.

a1smokepole

Re: New to forum with a question

Post by a1smokepole » June 14th, 2014, 10:13 pm

you may need a new breech plug the flash hole may be getting to big. witch will change poi .http://www.knightrifles.com/breech-plug-M900019/

lwa

Post by lwa » June 15th, 2014, 3:42 am

I forgot to add that I started out with a new breech plug last year.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » June 15th, 2014, 8:49 am

get you some boiling hot water and pore it down the bore and use a bore brush do it 2 our 3 times this will remove everything in the bore and after us alcohol to help dry then oil. look at the crown good to.

lwa

Post by lwa » July 10th, 2014, 11:08 am

I finally had time to do some quality testing on this problem. I knew the problem wasn't a clean barrel so I began with a trial and error method of what works and what doesn't. I shot five shots during each test before cleaning the barrel. After each shot I ran two wet patches and two dry patches down the barrel.

This is what worked to give me a five shot two inch group at 100 yds with Knight Red Hot 250 grain bullets.

Number one thing was use some Harvester sabots, black crushed rib. Number two was after using a drill bit to clean the flash channel of the old crossfire type breech plug I used it with three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and a CCI 209 primer.

With the exception of the Harverser sabots that combo is what I have shot through this rifle since buying it.

My conclusion is that the Harvester sabots are the way to go and I also believe going back to the crossfire type breech plug is the way to go for shooting pellets.

Now can you still buy the crossfire type breech plug. I would like to have a spare?