Hang fires, misfires, & dirty primers

omeas
Hang fires, misfires, & dirty primers

Post by omeas » January 20th, 2014, 6:40 pm

After many years with my Disc 50, I'm having all kinds of problems resulting in bits of powder hitting my face, mis-fires, delayed ignition, and very dirty primers. Anyone tell me what they think is going on?

a1smokepole

Re: Hang fires, misfires, & dirty primers

Post by a1smokepole » January 21st, 2014, 10:32 am

Our you using the bare primer or disc in your gun and what powder or you using have you cleaned your breech plug with a drill bit by hand. http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » January 21st, 2014, 11:53 am

Is this an 'Original Disc' with the orange primer discs? What primer & powder? I used my Original with Pyrodex & Blackhorn 209 powder, worked fine. It did have blowback & I had to clean well afterwards.

I store my M-L's with a light coat of oil for protection. The next time I load I run a dry patch down the bore, wipe the BP, and ensure the flash hole/channel is clear. I then fire 2 primers to ensure channel is open, with no oil. Then I load normally and shoot or hunt.

If it is the Original Disc, you could get a 'conversion kit', an 'Extreme' bolt & move towards a non-plastic jacket breech plug. They are usually MUCH cleaner and optimized for B209 powder. That's what I would do with an Original.

DiscMan

Post by DiscMan » January 21st, 2014, 2:01 pm

With out seeing your primers or you BP its hard to say. I would first look at your BP it may be full of carbon build up. This can be corrected by drilling out the carbon. Next I would look at the primers and the powder I use. If you are using Blackhorn powder you will need to change to a bare primer system. This can be purchased direct from Knight. If your gun uses the yellow disc then you will to purchase a new bolt system to fit the conversion. Hope this will help, and good luck.

omeas

Post by omeas » January 22nd, 2014, 4:37 am

To all, thank you for your advice and suggestions, which I will follow. I just discovered BP209 and picked up a 10 Oz can, along with some Montana x oil & bore cond. keep my rifle pretty clean but will definitely apply a 1/8 drill bit to the BP flash hole. Will also look into the conversion. I've always used Pyrodex with good results but I think I screwed up by not putting the black tipped end facing the down the barrel. I recently upset my half-filled box of Pydx and when I replaced the pellets I forgot about the black end orientation-dumb! Anyway, I think you have me on the right track and I appreciate your responses.

omeas

Post by omeas » January 22nd, 2014, 9:15 am

Sourdough, Discman; do I need to spend the $125.00 for the Extreme conv. Kit, plus the bare primer add-on, or can I just buy the bare primer breech plug? One of the features of the Disc that sold me early on was the ease of loading, is the bare disc a PiTA to work with in the field up in a treestand?

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » January 22nd, 2014, 10:57 am

If your going to use BH209 you will need to use the bare primer kit for it to work if your uses the orange disc you need this bolt.http://www.knightrifles.com/disc-extrem ... rsion-kit/ and you will need this plug kit.http://www.knightrifles.com/bare-209-pr ... rsion-kit/ updating your gun will help you us BH209 .

COLOelkman

Post by COLOelkman » January 22nd, 2014, 9:08 pm

What A1smokepole said! I tried BH209 in my Revolution with the FPJ's and I could get a shot or two off without much blowback but then it gets fouled enough to get considerable blowback. So a bare primer is needed for shooting BH209. I always had very good accuracy with 777 so I decided it wasn't worth converting it (not sure the Revolution can even be converted).

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » January 22nd, 2014, 10:04 pm

You can put a bare primer in your revolution but there very hard to find. you may look on ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knight-Revoluti ... 1034061548 it take some work for it to fit but it will work.

omeas

Post by omeas » January 28th, 2014, 8:38 pm

A1smokepole, received my Extreme conversion kit and it's pretty neat. However, it seems like it will be a bear to drop that primer into the feed hole, especially in the field on a cold Jersey morning. Is there any special knack to it or some device that would make it less difficult?