New shooter needs help

GMB54-120
Re: New shooter needs help

Post by GMB54-120 » August 8th, 2012, 11:53 am

100gr by actual weight is roughly 130gr+ by volume of Triple7 FFG. FFFG is a different conversion because its a finer grain. It is probably safe but IMO not a fun way to start out with a new ML. Recoil would be pretty stiff and you may not get the best accuracy. You can weigh Triple7 on a beam scale but don't use auto trickling scales like a RCBS ChargeMaster1500 combo or ny smokeless ONLY scale.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Kingcreek

Post by Kingcreek » August 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Triple se7en ffg I think.

Kingcreek

Post by Kingcreek » August 8th, 2012, 2:36 pm

sabotloader, I had already read thru all of that twice. Not until I posted here did GMB54 set me straight that 100gr weighed is different than 100gr in the black powder world. I never would have even considered it. I guess I should not assume that what I know from cartridge reloading carries anything over to muzzleloading.
I'll see if I can get a measure locally.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » August 8th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Kingcreek wrote:sabotloader, I had already read thru all of that twice. Not until I posted here did GMB54 set me straight that 100gr weighed is different than 100gr in the black powder world. I never would have even considered it. I guess I should not assume that what I know from cartridge reloading carries anything over to muzzleloading.
I'll see if I can get a measure locally.
In that particular rifle you would be OK with 100grains of T7-2f or 3f by weight. I normally shoot 120 grains (by volume) of T7-2f or 3f in my DISC 50's

Here is a load chart for Knights - might help you some what - but again remember these suggestions are by volume..

I also have a electronic version of the manual, it will not have the Orginal DISC in it but it will have the DISC Extreme. If you want it PM me your email address and I can send it that way.

This is the volume measure I use and like the best... I just have more faith in brass being more consistent..

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/hunters ... -7048.html

Others really like the TC U-View measure but I do not see it listed on the TC site any longer - it might be history...
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » August 8th, 2012, 9:16 pm

your getting good advice here just take your time and look at what everyone is telling you and sometimes it can be a lot all at once but you will start to see what everyone is saying its more to it then just load and shoot and not the same as center fire guns feel free to ask any questions you need before you load and shoot be safe with it first and no what your doing before you pull the trigger
THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS HERE FOR BEING SAFE

Midwestprowler

Post by Midwestprowler » August 9th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Stick to a powder measure. I never go by weight as powder can be more dense or less depending on the kind. (Pyrodex Triple 7 Blackhorn 209) all are different Blackhorn 209 would be lightest on a scale if I remember right but pack the same punch as higher loads of other powders listed. I have a t/c u-view measure & I really like it. If you want one you can get one here it's worth every penny. In fact this is the place I got all my stuff including my inline. http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.a ... _TC%207222

Did you clean your muzzleloader with water you should not use solvents that are oil based to clean up pyrodex or triple 7. You can only do that with Blackhorn 209 & you will want to swab after every shot with the pyro or triple 7. I don't mean to drill on the powder type but remember pyrodex & triple 7 have a shelf life t7 is longer. Blackhorn 209 cost more yes looks like you get less when you read the weight on the container but remember. It weighs much less then other powders & takes less of it to produce the same punch. So in fact you get a bit more also it has no shelf life & you would not need to swab after every shot I only swab after 5th shot when playing on range thats about when accuracy drops off if I do not swab.

P.S. I feel water has no place in or on any gun years ago it was the way many times the only way to do it. We now know water = rust & thats bad but thats just my opinion. :D Hope this helps Have fun be safe !

Kingcreek

Post by Kingcreek » August 9th, 2012, 6:33 pm

OK. Today I found (locally at the only sporting goods store) one choice of volume powder measure, a brass Traditions brand, and a clear TC powder dispensor to fill it with.
I got my nerve up. loaded 90gr of Triple 7 and a 360gr Maxi-Ball. Everything went just fine and I hit a 2' walnut tree at 50 yards. Don't know where I hit it but I heard it hit. There was too much brush and poison ivy to get close enough to see impact. I just wanted to take the first baby step without blowing my face off.
I cleaned it with the Knight brand bore cleaning solvent and I'm going to try 100gr (by VOLUME!) of Triple 7 and a saboted bullet and see if I can get it on paper for a group. Probably be this weekend.
The funny part was my wife was staining the cedar porch when I came up from the basement for my first shot. I looked for her and knew she had been out there but didn't see her because she was back in a corner. When I touched it off I heard a sudden very loud feminine voice say, "Dammit!, Why didn't you warn me? I almost fell off the ladder!"
She's a church-going woman that doesn't swear easily but I guess it startled her.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » August 9th, 2012, 10:59 pm

allsome sounds like you liked it shooting the gun that is with that bullet you may what to shoot less powder becouse its pure leed and its softer ther may be someone better then me to tell you about leed bullets but when you go up in Grains are bullet weight you use less powder like over 300gr hope you have fun and keep use up to date on your shooting

Midwestprowler

Post by Midwestprowler » August 10th, 2012, 5:41 am

Cool nice you got the gun going ! :D Very happy to hear you did not shoot 100gr by weight we all got to go one day but why rush it. :lol: Here is a wealth of information about inline-muzzleloaders. I have learned a ton from it not saying this guy is god in the inline world or anything but he knows his stuff. http://randywakeman.com/inline.htm
Read the one named My Sabot is Hard to Load! It will give you a start point on sabot bullet combo. Prolly save you some time & money I know it did me with my omega I just used what he suggested & got sub moa so did my brother.

Be sure to read the label on that triple 7 it should list a max load by volume just be sure not to go past that. What I see here for a .50 cal inline you should not load over 100gr by volume of 2f or 3f gives bullet options also in the chart. I would try a (250 gr as in weight of bullet not powder charge ;) If that's no good then 290gr http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloadin ... CKBOX_1=on <here is chart online. Get some 50cal hph-12 sabots & some 45 cal 250gr flat base poly tip bullets to go in it I bet she flys true. I would start at 85gr powder charge by volume then move up by fives see what charge groups best up to 100gr. Most guns group bad at max load 85gr charge by volume has enough punch to kill any deer in it's tracks out to about 180ish yards with a bullet like I mentioned.I bet yours will group best at 90 or 95gr triple 7 charge by volume.

P.S. If you buy the bullets in a pack that come with sabots look at the bottom of the sabot it will have a number stamped in it. If it looks like a typed number & small it's most likely a hph-24 sabot I think this will fit too loose in your muzzy.
you want ones supplied with a hph-12 sabot the number on the bottom of them look hand engraved not typed. Example > http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content ... dited1.jpg I would only switch if loading becomes a issue in that case a looser fit would be needed. The sabot to barrel fit can really effect accuracy.

Hope this helps MWP

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » August 10th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Midwestprowler wrote:Cool nice you got the gun going ! :D Very happy to hear you did not shoot 100gr by weight we all got to go one day but why rush it. :lol: Here is a wealth of information about inline-muzzleloaders. I have learned a ton from it not saying this guy is god in the inline world or anything but he knows his stuff. http://randywakeman.com/inline.htm
Read the one named My Sabot is Hard to Load! It will give you a start point on sabot bullet combo. Prolly save you some time & money I know it did me with my omega I just used what he suggested & got sub moa so did my brother.

Be sure to read the label on that triple 7 it should list a max load by volume just be sure not to go past that. What I see here for a .50 cal inline you should not load over 100gr by volume of 2f or 3f gives bullet options also in the chart. I would try a (250 gr as in weight of bullet not powder charge ;) If that's no good then 290gr http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloadin ... CKBOX_1=on <here is chart online. Get some 50cal hph-12 sabots & some 45 cal 250gr flat base poly tip bullets to go in it I bet she flys true. I would start at 85gr powder charge by volume then move up by fives see what charge groups best up to 100gr. Most guns group bad at max load 85gr charge by volume has enough punch to kill any deer in it's tracks out to about 180ish yards with a bullet like I mentioned.I bet yours will group best at 90 or 95gr triple 7 charge by volume.

P.S. If you buy the bullets in a pack that come with sabots look at the bottom of the sabot it will have a number stamped in it. If it looks like a typed number & small it's most likely a hph-24 sabot I think this will fit too loose in your muzzy.
you want ones supplied with a hph-12 sabot the number on the bottom of them look hand engraved not typed. Example > http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content ... dited1.jpg I would only switch if loading becomes a issue in that case a looser fit would be needed. The sabot to barrel fit can really effect accuracy.

Hope this helps MWP
That is the load recommendations that Hornady applies because they have no idea what rifle you might be shooting. So these loads are to satisfy liabilty rules. To find the load recommendations for your rifle go to the owners manual. In the manual they will list the max loads and projectiels for their rifles. Some will be far higher than Hornady's recommendations such as with most Knight Rifles.

Barnes sabots explanation. These sabots are made by MMP

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/c ... -accuracy/
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast