New shooter needs help

MidwestProwler
Re: New shooter needs help

Post by MidwestProwler » July 31st, 2012, 4:21 am

This may help it's not a knight but will give you a idea of what your doing. http://www.youtube.com/user/MidwestProwler/videos

The accessories kit for this gun in my videos should work for your knight muzzy you can buy it in a kit you can find them at walmart TC accessories kit http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thompson-Cent ... t/17481679

My understanding is the knight muzzy uses a plastic sleeve like thing to hold the primer in place works like a weather shield just added stuff to buy if you ask me. Not sure if you can use the primers I use> cci 209 magnum regular shot shell primers. You may have to use the special muzzleloader primers. Knight muzzy can be very accurate with right setup just sux they felt the need to add the disc part that's what was their undoing. I would hate having to buy a box of them along with my primers just added expense. You may be able to get a conversion breech plug for your gun ! They make em just search around if you don't like the disc part like me.

I would try & find out if that muzzy has magnum capabilities I would think so but with no manual I would play it safe. No more then 120Gr pyrodex & no more then 90Gr Blackhorn 209 that would be the equivalent of the pyrodex but outperform it with lower pressure & better FPS + energy. I would try Blackhorn 209 try a load at 80 then move up by fives not passing 90. This may give you a idea on what kind of sabot you might want to use http://www.chuckhawks.com/barnes_bullet ... loader.htm This should help you sort out sabots & be able to tell one kind from another http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/c ... -accuracy/ buy em in bulk from MMP sabots are lots cheaper that way & that way you know what you got. Unlike the ones with sabot - bullet in packs! I use the spit-fire T-EZ in my gun with hph-24 Barnes are the only ones I know of that tell you what sabot is supplied in the ones that come with bullet + sabot in a 10 or 20 pack. For a knight like yours I would start with this sabot hph-12 I would think hph-24 would not fit as tight as you would want leading to loss in accuracy. If it did however fit to tight aka can't push it down I would go with hph-24 as long as its not to easy to push down. Anyways hope this info helps you not sure about your experience level with inlines or muzzy but better to have all the info needed then not enough. Good luck & be safe. :D

Kingcreek

Post by Kingcreek » July 31st, 2012, 8:09 am

Thanks. I have NO experience with muzzleloaders or black powder. I've shot rifle, pistol, and shotgun competitively and have reloaded for all for 30 years.
In my continuing my research, I find that the "disc extreme" manual comes close to my "original disc rifle" so I have some info to start with. I have ordered 100 orange primer discs for $14 and an accessory kit. I can pick up some black powder somewhat locally. One of the fine folks here has offered me a rear sight to replace the damaged one.
THANKS sqezer!
I have cleaned the rifle which was pretty dirty but looks to have been shot very little. It has a great trigger, much like a match rifle. I've recieved some suggestions for powders so I'm going to have to narrow my choices of sabot/bullets. I'm not going to make a bang until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.
I'm really excited about adding muzzleloader to my hunting plans. Over the past 30 years I have killed over 60 deer with arrows, 3 with shotgun slug, and 2 with high power rifle, (Oh, and 3 with Ford Pickups).

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » July 31st, 2012, 1:39 pm

Kingcreek

This forum will not let me copy and paste this over as it is to long..

So you might go here and view it...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=20963

or here

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... s-ago.html
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Kingcreek

Post by Kingcreek » August 7th, 2012, 2:44 pm

I picked up a pound of Triple 7 since that and Pyrodex were the only choices locally. I bought an accessory kit that covers most of the things I needed.
Sqezer has been a huge help giving me some guidance and even sending me some bullets and primers to try. Thanks!
I can hunt in Illinois with sabot bullets.
I'm having a minor issue right now with the bolt and firing pin. I tried a disc and primer in the unloaded rifle and did not get a primer strike. I made sure the bolt safety was turned all the way out. I'll have to pull the bolt apart and check it over. I don't think it is possible to insert the disc wrong.
Thanks for all the help.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » August 7th, 2012, 9:25 pm

On that disc theres a grove were the primer goes into and rasied part on the author side that goes to the breech plug and for the bolt take it apart and see whats up and when you put it back together unscrew the safet just like it goes in the gun with bolt closed and see if firing pin come out the end of the bolt

Kingcreek

Post by Kingcreek » August 8th, 2012, 6:57 am

I took the bolt apart and cleaned some gunk out of it and popped 2 primers with no problems. I weighed out 3 charges of 100 gr T7. Tommorrow I'll try it out for the first time!

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » August 8th, 2012, 7:16 am

I hope you didnt actually WEIGH 3 charges at 100gr on a scale. 777 is normally measured by volume not weight unless you do the conversion. 100gr in actual weight is a huge charge. Roughly 77.7gr by weight equals 100gr by volume of 777 FFG.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Kingcreek

Post by Kingcreek » August 8th, 2012, 9:01 am

GMB54-120 wrote:I hope you didnt actually WEIGH 3 charges at 100gr on a scale. 777 is normally measured by volume not weight unless you do the conversion. 100gr in actual weight is a huge charge. Roughly 77.7gr by weight equals 100gr by volume of 777 FFG.
Whoa!
Yes I WEIGHED them on a beam scale. I can easily dump them back into the bottle and start over. Well, I guess I learned an important lesson here. Glad I did.
Jeez, I've been a cartridge reloader for almost 30 years. Who knew black powder could be so complicated.
So I should weigh out 77.7 gr since I don't have a volume measure (yet)?
Thanks.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » August 8th, 2012, 11:03 am

Kingcreek wrote:
GMB54-120 wrote:I hope you didnt actually WEIGH 3 charges at 100gr on a scale. 777 is normally measured by volume not weight unless you do the conversion. 100gr in actual weight is a huge charge. Roughly 77.7gr by weight equals 100gr by volume of 777 FFG.
Whoa!
Yes I WEIGHED them on a beam scale. I can easily dump them back into the bottle and start over. Well, I guess I learned an important lesson here. Glad I did.
Jeez, I've been a cartridge reloader for almost 30 years. Who knew black powder could be so complicated.
So I should weigh out 77.7 gr since I don't have a volume measure (yet)?
Thanks.
Kingcreek.. please look through this - it might give you a lot of ideas...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... s-ago.html
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » August 8th, 2012, 11:43 am

Dont blow yourself up get you one of these. http://www.rrarms.com/black-powder-acc/ ... asure.html
for starting out this is the way to go and then go to weight and theres a differants in 2f and 3f powder witch one do you have