muzzleloader cleaning question

bt99
muzzleloader cleaning question

Post by bt99 » June 21st, 2012, 5:04 am

Hi, i was wondering when you do a thorough cleaning of your muzzleloader at the end of the season, do you have to clean it with hot soapy water or can you use black powder solvents instead?

KnightMl

Re: muzzleloader cleaning question

Post by KnightMl » June 22nd, 2012, 4:59 pm

Your question was

"Hi, i was wondering when you do a thorough cleaning of your muzzleloader at the end of the season, do you have to clean it with hot soapy water or can you use black powder solvents instead?"

I have used BP cleaning solvents for quick clean ups inbetween hunts and clean ups at the range.

But at the end of the season I have always found that a full take down and cleaning with Hot soapy water and alcohol gets the job done throughout. I season the bore with bore butter when dried.

BP and its subsitues can be hard on barrels and components and is nothing to skimp on.

Do it right and you will have no worries.

sqezer

Post by sqezer » June 22nd, 2012, 7:08 pm

When shooting BH-209, a good centerfire solvent is all thats needed, then a good gun oil in the bore. Before shooting again then a few patckes with olcohol to get rid of the oil then a few dry patches and your good to go. With any of the other subs, soap & water, dry the barrel, a few patches of alcohol followed by a few dry patches, then a good gun oil. As far a Bore Butter it's best to leave it on the shelf at the store. The ML barrels are far better built today then years back.

sqezer

Post by sqezer » June 23rd, 2012, 9:39 am

I forgot to add that you can use plane old WINDEX instead of soap & water. It's a lot less messy, sabotloader has some pictures of how he does it and it works great on the range also. :D

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » October 14th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Yes, it 1st matters what propellent you are shooting, with Blackhorn 209 regular Hoppes #9 is fine. With 777 & Pyrodex you can use the soapy water solutions. Either way, when you are done put in a light coat of gun oil to protect the metal, inside & out.