Another BH209 in plunger type muzzleloader question

tpcollins
Another BH209 in plunger type muzzleloader question

Post by tpcollins » January 25th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I tried BH209 in my 209 converted MK85 - got one fire, then a hang fire, and then a no fire. In a 209 breech plug, there is a long flash channel in front of the primer and then the flash hole. In a #11 percussion cap plug, the flash hole is at the bottom of the nipple and the flash channel runs the length of the breech plug (which fills with powder when loaded). I realize #11 cap will not ignite BH209 but I can get about 6-7 grains of Triple 7 in the flash channel of a #11 breech plug. I could dump 80-90 grains of BH209 on top of that and it should ignite from the small Triple 7 charge.

In that scenario, would there still be excessive blow back thru the #11 nipple as would be in a 209 plunger type ignition? Thanks.

Billnv

Re: Another BH209 in plunger type muzzleloader question

Post by Billnv » January 28th, 2013, 2:39 pm

While a duplex load should work, you shouldn't need to. I am currently using BH209 in both my MK85's. One is a 50 and the other a 54. I am on my 3rd or 4th jug and have never experienced the problems others have reported such as failure to fire, hang fire, primer separation or re-cocking issues. Contrary to what has been reported here and other forums, BH209 IS an approved powder by Western Powder Co. for use in the Knight MK85 rifles. I have several emails from them stating that they have extensively tested their powder in the Knight MK85 with excellent results. Their only stipulation is that the breach plug be kept cleaned and that "hotter" 209 primers be used. They suggest CCI M or Fed 209A

Good luck and hope this info is useful.

Bill V