Can somone tell me about the Knight American

cgeb
Can somone tell me about the Knight American

Post by cgeb » December 13th, 2012, 7:41 pm

I have a Knight American that uses the red jacket 209. I bought it new and it's been a great gun.

My question is it seems to be sort of the "step-child" of Knight. Not really much info on them, the seem to be really close to the Wolverine. So what is the story, Knight did a limited run, built them out of spare parts, etc.?

I sent Knight an email awhile back looking for the Leigh breech plug (that Knight sells now). They said they don't make them for the American, so there must be some differences.

Knightnewbee

Re: Can somone tell me about the Knight American

Post by Knightnewbee » December 18th, 2012, 2:03 am

I don't know anything about what you are asking, but I was hopeing you could help me. I just got a Knight American, and it has what I think is a breech plug set up for the red plastic 209 primer holder. Is there a special size for this rifle? Do you think any of the red plastic 209 holders will work? Any help is greatly appreciated, as your time! Thanks, and tight groups!

cgeb

Post by cgeb » December 18th, 2012, 8:02 am

I just use the standard red jackets and Winchester 209 primers. Never had a misfire. I shoot 105 grains of FFF and XTP hollow points (240 and 300 grain). I;m very comfortable taking deer out to 100 yards with it. Hope it helps with your setup.

hrgriz

Post by hrgriz » December 18th, 2012, 6:58 pm

The American was Knight's entry level rifle. It lacked the adjustable trigger of the other Knights.Basically it is the same quality etc. as all of their plunger style rifles.I have taken deer out as far as 125 yards with mine using 85 gr ffg and a 240 hornady xtp. Great rifles!! 8-)

Krazycoot

Post by Krazycoot » February 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

I'm new to this forum, but I've been shooting a USAK for about twelve years. I shoot 300gr XTP's with about 95 grains of powder and I have taken deer everywhere from 20yds to about 180yds. I just picked up a new Thumbhole Bighorn this afternoon because it is time to let the older son start hunting and one of us needed a new muzzle loader. I'm the dad, so I win!

I expect to see him, and his younger brother in a couple more years, take many more deer with that rifle.

The USAK was a low priced model but it has shot so well for me, I couldn't bring myself to upgrade until now. And now it's only because i need another one, not a different one.