Rust in barrel

Monkeymaster
Rust in barrel

Post by Monkeymaster » October 8th, 2012, 9:54 am

Hello,
Just bought a used wolverien.
All blueing is good, barrel is good except, the 1st 1" in front of the breech plug is rusted.
I can see from reciever end, and front of barrel the rust in front of the breech plug in the barrel..
Used some blue wonder, wd 40 ect and patched out as much of the surface "rudt dust" as I could.
Patches were brown.
I thought if I got some sort of polishing pad, inserted it in a battery drill, and try to polish out as much as I could, then oil the p_ss out of it when in storage ?
Any thoughts.
Thanks

DiscMan

Re: Rust in barrel

Post by DiscMan » October 8th, 2012, 6:42 pm

PB Blaster along with a drill and bronze brush will go a long way with removing the rust from your gun. Knight has a new coating that offers superior corrosion protection see Dynatek Coating on the webb sku MBC900902-bore coat. Have a blessed day and allways shoot a Knight.

Monkeymaster

Post by Monkeymaster » October 9th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Ok, I give up.
What is PB Blaster, and where do you find it ?
Thanks

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » October 14th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Here's what I've done, & what I would do. I'd alternate with 'Kroil oil' followed by 'JB Bore Cleaner' on patches. The Kroil oil will penetate into any rust & the JB cleaner will follow up as a mild abrasive. This will get it as clean as one could expect. You can order both from Midwayusa.com if you can't find them locally. You just keep running snug patches of both through the bore.

Many, many muzzle-loaders meet their end through neglect.

DiscMan

Post by DiscMan » October 26th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Sorry I have been in the woods, PB Blaster is powerful penetrating catalyst it can be bought at most Wal-marts and Lowes stores. it is great to remove rust from the outside and inside of old guns. you can look it up at www.blasterproducts.com

Monkeymaster

Post by Monkeymaster » October 30th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Thanks,
I though I was going to have to stuff my barrel full of peanut butter ! :D

INDYDUCK46

Post by INDYDUCK46 » October 30th, 2012, 2:51 pm

I bought a NEW FRONTIER with the same problem and it also had a lot of machining chatter marks through the whole bore. But i got it really cheap. I took a 3/8" wooden dowel and epoxied a saber saw blade in the center of one end and a hex nut that fit my jag to the other end. Then I used some automotive valve grinding compond, it comes in two different grits, with a patch to polish up the barrel. Of course I used the powered sabersaw. You will have to take out the breach plug to get the bottom clean. Then you'll have to clean the breach threads. Use a toothbrush and lots of WD40 to flush the threads. As a side note you can bend the flat handled toothbrushes to all sorts of angles by putting them in boiling water for 5 minutes.
I polished mine "A LOT" to smooth out the chatter marks and the bore is still really tight, and the accuracy is great. You can push a sabot through the bore before and after as a comparison.