Help!

jpshields
Help!

Post by jpshields » March 24th, 2013, 10:25 am

I just purchased and received the new Ultra-Lite M/L. I have spent a ton of time and money on other guns trying to develop the right powder/bullet combination. Could someone please recommend how much powder/pellets they are using for the Ultra-Lite and what type of bullets? Thank you so much. Pierce

sourdough44

Re: Help!

Post by sourdough44 » April 23rd, 2013, 7:16 pm

It's been a while. Looks like a very nice gun. I'd go right to Blackhorn 209 powder. There are notes and particulars on the Western powders website about primers & such. B209 needs a stronger primer, I use a CCIM, others will work. It's simple to measure loose powder, usually done by VOLUME with a simple measure. You can use down near 80 grains or so just getting setup & your scope close. For hunting I'd use about 110 grains with common 250 & 300 grn bullets.

You have options to mix & match sabots & bullets to see what you, the gun, & game like. I often use cheaper options for casual shooting. For hunting the 250 or 300 grn Hornady SST does me fine, Barnes options are great too. With the right sized sabot you can pick from a wide variety of pistol bullets. I hate to get to far in the weeds as to what is the best bullet. Usually if you put it in the right spot, that accounts for 80% of results.

If you are new to M-Ling, be sure to have a handle on proper cleaning after shooting. It does take more than the average center-fire with smokeless powder. You don't want to shoot your gun & put away without cleaning. Come on over to modernmuzzleloader.com for more details and forum traffic.

bigbullelk

Re: Help!

Post by bigbullelk » July 19th, 2013, 7:34 am

hi JP, This is what I shoot out of my Ultra Lite. I shoot 100gr of BlackHorn 209, Win 209 primer, 250gr Knight polymer tipped bt bullets. I was very happy with this combination. Good luck!

JRW

Return to “Powders & Loads”